Life as I know It

My photo
San Luis Obispo, California, and South Bristol, Maine, United States
Author ~ Illustrator ~ Lecturer

Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Peaceable Kingdom


When I was growing up, one of my favorite images was that of the Peaceable Kingdom..."and the lion shall lie down with the lamb," which is what inspired me to do this drawing. I guess my Quaker roots and the paintings of Edward Hicks were my main influence. Now, more than ever, the idea of a peaceable kingdom is always on my mind. What can I do to make this world a better place for the innocent children who are too often harmed by our grown-up religious or ethnic intolerances? Think kindness.

This year I opted out of the traditional holiday tree. Although I adore the scent of balsam or douglas fir, I wanted more simplicity and a tree that would live and produce for us for years to come.

So here is our wonderful espaliered apple tree. This tree has three different varieties of apples, the bottom two limbs are Dorsets, the center two are Gala, and the top two are Fuji, which are all fruits that thrive in this area. The day after Christmas, Jeff and I will plant this sweet tree in our herb courtyard where the thick walls will reflect the sun and help this tree flourish.


May the blessings of the holidays be showered on you and your loved ones,

Sharon

6 comments:

rmlrhonda said...

What a wonderful idea for a tree! As my children get older (2 in college and one in high school), we seem to get our tree later and later, and have it up for less and less time. Though I do love a live evergreen tree, I am beginning to consider other options. This is a lovely one!

Lynn Coulter said...

I've just found your site, and I love it! Your "Blessing of Toads" is one of my favorite gardening books!
Happy holidays,
Lynn
"Master Blogger" for Atlanta's 2009 Southeastern Flower Show
www.flowershowblog.com

Jim Longs Garden said...

Sharon,
Love the tree! And what an interesting list of things you chose when the fire was heading your way. Whew! VERY glad it missed you folks. Thank you for posting the Heavenly Pie recipe, I can't wait to try it. I didn't find the amount of whipping cream in the recipe so I'm guessing a cup?

We have 75 degrees today in the Ozarks and THAT is heavenly pie, as well.
Jim Long

Anonymous said...

Oh Jim Long is my favorite herb writer, you may recognize him from his looooooong running column in The Herb Companion. His gardens are fabulous as are all his products. I cruise through his blog all the time!

Oops, sorry Jim, how did I miss Grandmother's ingredients of 1 pint heavy cream? She would be ashamed of me.

Sharon

Amy Bradstreet said...

Wishing you a happy new year, Ms. Lovejoy (your tree is so pretty!)

From sister gardener, Mainer and FAN,

Amy in Old Orchard Beach

Anonymous said...

Sharon, hello! I saw your comment on my blog and could not believe it was actually "Sharon Lovejoy" the author! Wow! I'm so excited! :) I have read quite a few of your books, blogged about them and love them! Last year was our first eneavor with gardening and I incorporated alot of it into our homeschooling as well! We grew our first sunflower fort with the ideas you shared in your books! Thanks so much for stopping by and I'm eager to see your new book! :)

Candace
www.candacemercyisnew.blogspot.com