Life as I know It

My photo
San Luis Obispo, California, and South Bristol, Maine, United States
Author ~ Illustrator ~ Lecturer

Monday, November 16, 2009

An Evening with Friends

Yesterday, Jeff had to pry me away from my garden and into the car. We had registered for the Garden Writer Association's regional meeting in Malibu, and we had a four hour drive ahead of us.


We arrived at the old Casa Malibu Inn (no web site; call 800-831-0858) and checked in. When I walked through the door to our room, I shrieked. Smack on the sand, waves crashing almost to our deck, and a long, lovely yacht moored nearby. Picture perfect and the gardens are soothing, lush, and very old timey California. I can see why actress Jamie Leigh Curtis described this hotel as her favorite hide-away.


Our meeting was held at the fairytale home and gardens of Lance and Aime Lindsay of Stone Manor Lighting. Some of my favorite writers and friends attended, Nan Sterman of Plant Soup, Debra Prinzing of Shed Style, Cindy McNatt of Dirt du Jour, and too many others to mention.

Peapod sculture by Terra Sculpture

We talked about how newspapers and magazines have been on their way out for the past few years (Met Home is the newest casualty), and how blogs are the wave of the future, but then we already knew that, didn't we? Blogging brings people together in a way that magazines never could. We interact immediately, answer questions, form deep friendships with people who love the same things, in short, it is here to stay, and we need to tend our blogs the same way we tend our gardens.

Stone Manor Lighting by day
Stone Manor Lighting by night

Onward to the gardens of the beautiful little gem called the Getty Villa Museum in Malibu.


Sunshine,

Sharon

3 comments:

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Aren't our lives magical? Most days I have to pinch myself! I want to get to the Getty complex some day! Your trip sounds wonderful as usual! Thanks for adding my blog to your list, Sharon.

debra said...

hi there Sharon and Jeff ~ great to see you last night! what a nice post and what incredible pics, Jeff!
Love your comments about blogging as a community building exercise. Your readers are already in this world - and we're all getting savvier about it.
See you tomorrow - can't wait (blogging is just fine, but "real life friendships" are even better, right? xoxo Deb

Jim Long said...

Thanks for the great views of the hotel and landscape. I'm in awe of those giant succulents! I know it must have been a fun evening.