Life as I know It

My photo
San Luis Obispo, California, and South Bristol, Maine, United States
Author ~ Illustrator ~ Lecturer

Friday, October 19, 2007

Common Sense & Creativity


Cooking is always equal parts creativity and common sense. I love the challenge of creating something from nothing, blending leftover refrigerator ingredients into a soothing autumn soup or casserole.

I read cookbooks the way others read novels. Some nights I curl up with M.F.K. Fisher, Elizabeth David, and scores of others. I am inspired and encouraged by their writing, but sometimes I am also overwhelmed. That is why I collect and treasure old cookbooks. With all their faults and sins of omission, they seem to me to be usable, personal, and lovable.

One of my favorite cookbooks was written by Florrie M. Locke in 1936, “Recipes from Maine: Mrs. Locke's Dining Porches, Fryeburg, Maine."

Learn the basic batter for fritters and then add your own favorite ingredients

Fritters

Fritter Batter

1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 egg well beaten


Apple Fritters

Dice 2 medium-sized tart apples. Slip into fritter batter. Fry in deep fat (I use canola) and serve with lemon sauce. I top these fritters with a dollop of ice cream or homemade whipped cream.

Enjoy the simple pleasures of the orchard and the table!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just spent a very enjoyable half hour reading your blog and being offered a glimpse into the innards of Maine - The book stores, festivals, restaurants, all of it. I'm frothing over the vegetable displays at Chase's and am Granny Smith Green with wishing I could of attended the Apple Extravaganza at Rabelais Books. Thanks so much for sharing!

debijeanm said...

When Country Living Gardener disappeared from my grocery shelf I felt that I had lost a treasured friend. Thank you for inviting me back into your life.